Finally, we have made it to production week for Into the Woods. This is the final scene of the show right before our final dance number. This show has been very challenging. Of my limited experience with opera scenes--specfically Massenet, Mozart, and Kurt Weill (operetta)--that I've been involved in, they have been much easier for me than this show. First of all, Sondheim likes to mix song with rhythmic speech in his music, and it makes it very difficult to coordinate. Also, since there is dialogue in between the songs, the orchestra has to find its cue from our lines (a challenging thing if someone happens to drop a line), and we in turn have to figure out when exactly to start singing, which isn't always as obvious as it could be. I'm glad that tomorrow will be our last show.
On opening night, I had a pretty terrible cold. I was just REALLY glad I was singing broadway and not opera, because that would have been very interesting to try to get out any technically difficult notes. Thankfully, due to faith and prayers, I got through the performance. My part wasn't fabulous by any stretch of the imagination, but I was grateful that I had a voice at all and didn't have to hold a tissue to my nose the whole time.
Here is another picture of me in Cinderella's ballgown. It was supposed to be on the shoulder, but the sleeves kept falling off, (I have a very short torso, and the ribbing of the dress kept the dress up too high for the sleeves to stay on) and so I had to wear it like this. Note the gold shoes. In Sondheim's production, Cinderella has gold shoes instead of glass. I'm rather glad about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment